How to perform EZ Bar Tricep Extensions
A great workout for the tricep, is the EZ bar tricep extensions exercise. But doing it correctly is important. The idea behind the exercise is to lift and lower the EZ bar from behind your head.
First you want to grip the EZ bar, so that when you put the bar behind your head, your outer hands will be facing up and outwards at a 45 degree angle. Your start position will be with the bar lowered. You will then stroke the bar upwards, using your triceps only.
If you are looking for support during the lift, then try driving your feet into the ground. Keep your torso straight and erect during the lift, with your feet firmly on the ground.
What Not To Do With EZ Bar Tricep Extensions!
- Arch your back when lifting
- Flare your arms out too much
When you start to understand the range of motion and how your triceps are affected with this exercise, you will start to see really good gains. Remember that it is a tricep exercise done from behind the head, so it would be a good ideas to ensure your shoulder rotator muscles are warmed up.
- Remember to flex your tricep at the end
- Do the lift with your triceps only
- Avoid arching your back
- Get a spotter if need be
- Keep your reps slow and controlled
- Don’t sacrifice form for the lift
- Variations 1: Keeping your elbows as close to your head as possible. This places more emphasis on the medial head of the tricep.
- Variation 2: Flare your elbows out to a maximum of 45 degrees. This places more emphasis on the lateral head of the tricep.